City Releases Hurricane Sandy Announcement
Residents are urged to prepare in advance of the storm.
The following was posted to the City's website and sent to the press as of 2 p.m. Friday, Oct. 26:
"The City is monitoring the weather predictions and preparing for Hurricane Sandy as the storm approaches the Virginia coast. The storm's impact on Fredericksburg is still uncertain as of October 26, but residents should make their own preparations in advance of the storm's expected arrival on Sunday, Oct. 28.
- Have a plan for your family to safely shelter in place if possible.
- Have flashlights and batteries on hand in case of power outages. The use of candles is not recommended due to the risk of fire.
- Stock up on non-perishable food items, bottled water, and required prescription medication. You should have enough on hand to maintain your family for at least three days.
- Clear all gutters and storm drains of leaves and debris to help prevent water damage to your home.
- Store all outdoor items such as furniture and grills that could cause damage if caught by high winds.
- Monitor local news and radio for weather and emergency updates.