Fredericksburg Fire Department units responded to a structure fire this morning in a residence in the Idlewild subdivision on the city’s west side.
"A small fire was found in the laundry room area and extinguished but not before heavy smoke had traveled throughout the structure," said Fredericksburg Fire Department deputy fire chief Mike Jones in a release Friday.
Jones said a 911 call was received reporting a fire in a home in the 1200 block of Hearthstone Drive at 8:55 a.m.
"Fire Department units responded and had smoke showing from the structure upon arrival a few minutes later. The location and layout of the home posed some issues as the house actually sits behind the structure’s two-car garage which fronts the street," said Jones in the release.
Jones said the home layouts in the Idlewild subdivision have garages fronting the street while the front door faces a woodline.
"The homeowner noticed the fire in the clothes dryer and called 911 and attempted to put out the flames with a fire extinguisher," said Jones in the release. "This ultimately did not put the fire completely out and Fire Department units quickly stretched a hose line and extinguished the fire in the laundry room."
Three people were in the house at the time of the fire but they were evacuated by the time fire authorities arrived.
"The entire home (both floors and the basement) sustained heavy smoke damage," said Jones in a release. "Due to the amount of smoke present, a search of the entire structure was initiated just to make sure no civilians were inside. After the fire was extinguished it took some time to clear all the smoke out of the large residence. The fire area was overhauled and a check for fire extensions was done with none found."
Units from both Spotsylvania and Stafford counties were requested but placed in service quickly after the fire was extinguished, said Jones.
The Fire Marshal’s Office is conducting an origin and cause investigation into the fire. Jones said the fire appears to be accidental because items in the dryer ignited. No one was injured in the fire.
Want Fredericksburg news and information in your inbox? Learn more about free newsletters here.