Garage Fire Originated in Electrical Connection
The accidental fire caused about $15,000 damage, according to officials.
A fire in a garage behind a Courtland Heights home originated in an electrical connection, Michael Jones, Fredericksburg Fire Department deputy fire chief said in a press release.
Fredericksburg Emergency Communications received a 9-1-1 call at about 8:10 Friday morning from a neighboring home, reporting fire in a detached garage behind 119 Gibson St. off Lafayette Blvd.
Smoke and fire were coming from the garage when firefighters arrived, Jones said. "They stretched a hose line to the front of the garage and mounted an aggressive attack on the fire, which prevented it from extending to the primary residence," Jones said.
An electrical service line running from the home to the garage had burned in two, leaving a “live” electrical line in the way, according to Jones. "Firefighters removed the power to this line by switching off a breaker in the home," Jones said.
"Firefighters spent considerable time removing contents from the garage and wetting them down to make sure all the fire had been extinguished," Jones said. A fire unit from Spotsylvania County provided stand-by coverage while Fredericksburg units were committed to this event.
The Fire Marshal’s Office conducted an origin and cause investigation and determined the fire originated in an electrical connection in the garage, which spread to combustible contents stacked on the floor, Jones said.
The fire has been listed as accidental. Damage estimates are approximately $15,000 to the property.
There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters.
Follow Fredericksburg Patch via: