VIDEO: Fredericksburg Juvenile Court Demolished
A bulldozer is razing the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court over two days to make room for a new 78,000-square-foot courthouse on the corner of Princess Anne and Charlotte streets.
Fredericksburg's Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court will be rubble in the next 48 hours as a bulldozer began demolition of the building today at 701 Princess Anne St.
The demolition is to make room for a new 78,000-square-foot courthouse that will house two new Circuit Court rooms and two new General District Court rooms (one will remain a shell) and members of the Fredericksburg Sheriff's Office. The city issued $36.7 million in bonds for the project and it is expected to be completed in the late 2014 or early 2015.
Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court moved to Executive Plaza at 601 Caroline St. City Council will decide later this year if it will keep the court in Executive Plaza or move it to renovated space at where General District Court is today. Council members are looking for ways to save money to use to renovate the Renwick Buiding, where Circuit Court will be held until the new courthouse is completed. City Manager Beverly Cameron recommended last month turning Renwick into a Council Chamber (in the current Circuit courtroom on the second floor) and the first floor could be office space for the city manager’s office, city attorney’s office, mayor, and clerk of Council. This renovation could cost about $5 million. Council could also choose to keep the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court in Executive Plaza and save money on the renovation of the General District Courthouse at 615 Princess Anne St.
The bond issuance pays for the following:
- Design new court facilities
- Renovate Executive Plaza first floor for temporary occupancy by the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court
- Demolish the existing structures at the corner of Princess Anne and Charlotte streets
- Construct the new courthouse at corner of Princess Anne and Charlotte streets
- Move the Circuit Court out of Renwick and the General District Court to the new courthouse
- Renovate the General District Courthouse and move the J&DR Court to the renovated former General District Courthouse
Want Fredericksburg news and information in your inbox? Learn more about free newsletters here.