Welcome to Friday, Jan. 25, 2013! Here are some interesting facts about today:
1. Jan. 25 was a big day for Thomas Edison. On Jan. 25, 1881, he and Alexander Graham Bell founded the Oriental Telephone Company. Thirty-four years later, on Jan. 25, 1915, Edison made the first transcontinental phone call, and spoke from New York to Thomas Watson in San Francisco.
2. Think you're cold now? On this day in 1945, the bitter German offensive - the Battle of the Bulge of World War II - ended.
3. Famous Birthdays: Former Montana Republican Sen. Conrad Burns is 78; Canadian actress Mia Kirshner is 38 and American singer Alicia Keys is 32.
4. The weather today will be cold! Expect light snow (less than an inch) mostly after 1 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. The evening will be snowy with a low temperature of 22 degrees.
5. South County Middle School is on the air! The student news team is assembled, and the first morning broadcast is scheduled to be filmed and fed to classrooms at 9:20 a.m. Patch will be there to document the occasion, and we're excited to hear their lead story.
Have a great day!