This weekend, several events and venues around Fredericksburg will commemorate the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Fredericksburg. In addition, enjoy the arts during First Friday, and slow down for a breakfast with Santa or a holiday concert.
- When: Friday, Dec. 7, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 8, 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Sunday, Dec. 9, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Where: Various Locations (click the link to find out where different events are located)
- Why Go: Commemorate the 150 Anniversary of the Battle of Fredericksburg at these two historic sites. Events include living-history interpreters, demonstrations on quilting, laundering, blacksmithing and horsemanship, as well as cooking demos and a field hospital.
- Price: Ferry Farm admission is $1, children 6 and under are free. Kenmore admission is $10 for adults, $5 for students, children 6 and under are free.
- When: Friday, Dec. 7, Saturday, Dec. 8 and Sunday, Dec. 9, 5 p.m.
- Where: Fredericksburg Visitor Center
- Why Go: Experience your own sleigh ride through the streets of downtown, complete with holiday music, cookies and the Christmas sites of Fredericksburg.
- Price: $100 - $120, tickets required
Friday Night Wine Tasting
- When: Friday, Dec. 7, 5:30 - 8:30 p.m.
- Where: The Virginia Wine Experience
- Why Go: New wine is featured each week, with the bottle sold at a discounted price
- Price: FREE
- When: Friday, Dec. 7, 7:30 p.m.
- Where: University of Mary Washington, George Washington Hall, Dodd Auditorium
- Why Go: Enjoy a holiday concert featuring music from It’s A Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street
- Price: $10, children 8 and under FREE
- When: Friday, Dec. 7 and Saturday, Dec. 8, 8 p.m.
- Where: Central Rappahannock Regional Library
- Why Go: See this classic story performed by the Farndale Avenue Housing Estate Townswomen’s Guild Dramatic Society
- Price: FREE
- When: Saturday, Dec. 8, 9 - 10:30 a.m.
- Where: Dorothy Hart Community Center
- Why Go: Santa and his elves will be present for breakfast, along with story time and music.
- Price: $6, children; $1, adults; registration required
Railroad Museum and Train Rides
- When: Saturday, Dec. 8, 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Where: 11700 Main Street
- Why Go: Tour railroad cars, sit in the caboose and weather permitting take a ride down county tracks in a restored crew car.
- Price: FREE, donations accepted
- When: Saturday, Dec. 8, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. and Sunday, Dec. 9, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Where: Fraternal Order of Eagles Lodge #4123, 21 Cool Springs Road
- Why Go: See a variety of displays of operating model trains and visit vendors for new, used and replacement trains and parts.
- Price: $7, adults; $1, children aged 4-12; children 4 and under FREE
- When: Saturday, Dec. 8, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. and Sunday, Dec. 9, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Where: Historic Kenmore
- Why Go: Creative gingerbread houses will be on display, all made to the theme “Songs of the Holidays.” Choose your favorite and see the winner.
- Price: $10, adults; $5, students; FREE, under age 6 (includes tour of Kenmore). $5, adults; $2.50, students; FREE, under age 6 (exhibit only)
- When: Saturday, Dec. 8, 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Where: Fredericksburg Area Museum and Cultural Center
- Why Go: Celebrate and commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Fredericksburg with a viewing and signing of selected pieces from the Larry D. Silver collection.
- Price: FREE
- When: Saturday, Dec. 8, 1-3 p.m.
- Where: Market Square
- Why Go: Learn about the life of a drummer boy in the Battle of Fredericksburg. Make a drum and song book to take home as your own.
- Price: FREE
- When: Saturday, Dec. 8, 3 - 6 p.m.
- Where: Happy Clam
- Why Go: Enjoy an evening on the river with wine and oysters from the Friends of the Rappahannock and Rappahannock River Oysters, LLC.
- Price: $15 in advance, $20 at the door
- When: Saturday, Dec. 8, 6 - 8 p.m.
- Where: The Museum Store
- Why Go: Visit and get your picture with Santa and listen to stories about the historic area.
- Price: FREE
Strictly Ballroom’s Annual Holiday Party
- When: Saturday, Dec. 8, 6 p.m.
- Where: Strictly Ballroom Dance Studio
- Why Go: Celebrate the holidays with dancing, a foxtrot lesson, and potluck dinner
- Price: $18, without a dish to share; $15 with a dish or dancing only
Holiday Swing Dance
- When: Saturday, Dec. 8, 7:30 - 11 p.m.
- Where: Picker’s Concert Hall
- Why Go: Join in this discounted, holiday themed dance and learn how to swing from 7:30 - 8 p.m., and put those skills to work the rest of the night.
- Price: $5
- When: Sunday, Dec. 9, 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Where: Eileen’s Bakery and Cafe
- Why Go: Enjoy a delicious breakfast, a visit with Santa, and a surprise gift for each child
- Price: $16, reservations required
Ships of Oak - Guns of Fire Book Signing
- When: Sunday, Dec. 9, 1 p.m.
- Where: Beck’s Antiques and Books
- Why Go: Meet local artist Ron Utt and learn about his new book on American’s “second war of independence.”
- Price: FREE
- When: Sunday, Dec. 9, 1 - 3 p.m.
- Where: Artful Dimensions Gallery
- Why Go: Create two handmade holiday objects at this special workshop. Choose from a snowman, reindeer, clay mitten or ornament.
- Price: $25, reservations required
Voices of the Gospel 15th Annual Christmas Concert
- When: Sunday, Dec. 9, 4 - 6 p.m.
- Where: Shiloh Baptist Church
- Why Go: Enjoy the traditional songs of Christmas with this combined choir performance
- Price: FREE
Sunday Night Bingo
- When: Sunday, Dec. 9, 6:30 p.m.
- Where: 1114 Potomac Avenue
- Why Go: Enjoy a Bingo night with proceeds going to local charities, as well as a chance to win cash prizes
- Price: FREE entry, pay for Bingo cards at the door
- When: Sunday, Dec. 9, 7 p.m.
- Where: Colonial Tavern
- Why Go: Complete your weekend with a trivia night and compete to win cash prizes and more
- Price: FREE
First Friday Events - Dec. 7
Art First Gallery- 824 Caroline Street - Meet the artists and see work from 31 local artists at this All Member Holiday Exhibit. Opening reception, 6 - 9 p.m.
Artful Dimensions Gallery - 911 Charles Street - Enjoy an array of 3-dimensional artwork in this December All Member Show. Opening reception, 6 - 9 p.m.
Brush Strokes Gallery - 824 Caroline Street - This month, experience an “Artist Showcase,” in an all member show with individual themes. The gallery celebrates the holidays with a variety of work for the season. Opening reception, 6 - 9 p.m.
Fredericksburg Center for the Creative Arts - 813 Sophia Street - A Holiday Show from all members will be shown in the downstairs gallery. Upstairs, a juried show entitled, “It’s Small” will be on display. Opening reception, 6 - 8:30 p.m.
Liberty Town - 916 Liberty Street - This past September, artists took to the streets in “Art Attack” and created masterpieces on the sidewalks of downtown. Throughout the month of December, view the work that was created that September day. Opening reception, 5 - 9 p.m.
Ponshop Gallery - 712 Caroline Street - This December, Ponshop will feature its second annual Jewelry Show, with handmade pieces by eleven local artists. Features will include beads, ceramics, sterling silver, leather, precious metal clay and bullet casings. Opening reception, 6 - 9 p.m.
Raven Hi Fi - 214 William Street - New work from Toy Fowler, who received 1st place in the “Uniquely Fredericksburg” juried show, will be displayed. Meet the artist and explore what else he has accomplished. Opening reception, 6:30 - 9:30 p.m.
Read All Over Books - 307 William Street - “The Eight: Reindeer Monologues,” a dark Christmas Comedy by Jeff Goode will be performed. The show takes place in the North Pole and tells the tale of a terrible scandal. The show is for mature audiences only. Opening reception, 5 p.m., and the show begins at 8 p.m. Tickets are $10.
Tanya Richey Studio Gallery - 817 Caroline Street - View new work from Tanya Richey this December. Opening reception, 6 - 9 p.m.
Weadon Studio and Fine Art - 305 Hanson Avenue - This new studio continues to bring fresh faces to Fredericksburg. View work from national, international and local artists and enjoy live local music. Opening reception, 7 - 10 p.m.
Wm Mason Violin Shop - 509-1 Jackson Street - Explore the world of Wm Mason II’s Violin Shop this Friday. With plenty of music to go around and a professional luthier on hand, walking into the shop is a learning experience for all. Opening reception, 6 p.m.
Beading Class at Artful Dimensions Gallery, Learn how to make a cuff bracelet using beads, buttons and other objects. Friday, Dec. 7, 9:30 a.m., Saturday, Dec. 8, 9:30 a.m., $60.
Contemporary Work in Fiber at the Ridderhof Martin Gallery at the University of Mary Washington. Friday, Dec. 7, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., FREE
Selections from the Larry D. Silver Art Collection at the Fredericksburg Museum and Cultural Center. Friday, Dec. 7 and Saturday, Dec. 8, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. and Sunday, Dec. 9, 12 - 5 p.m., $7 for adults, $2 for students, children 6 and under, FREE
Picturing the Civil War at the Fredericksburg Area Museum and Cultural Center, Friday, Dec. 7 and Saturday, Dec. 8, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. and Sunday, Dec. 9, 12 - 5 p.m., $7 for adults, $2 for students, children 6 and under, FREE
From Recycled Cereal Box to One of a Kind Art Journal at Artful Dimensions Gallery, Saturday, Dec. 8, 9:30 a.m., $45.
Altered Books From Start To Finish at Artful Dimensions Gallery, Create a discarded volume into an individual work of art. Saturday, Dec. 8, 9:30 a.m., $45.
Michael Geddes Sr. at Kybecca Wine Bar. Friday, Dec. 7, 8:30 p.m., FREE.
The C.R.S. Band at Yak-A-Doo’s. Friday, Dec. 7 and Saturday, Dec. 8, 9 p.m., FREE.
Nucorp at Shannon’s Bar and Grille. Friday, Dec. 7 and Saturday, Dec. 8, 9 p.m., FREE.
Holiday Performance by Harry & Larry & Buck at the Village at Spotsylvania Towne Centre, Saturday, Dec. 8, 7 - 8 p.m., FREE.