The unoccupied house at 16 Hopkins Branch Way exploded around 9 p.m. Saturday, potentially due to a gas leak. No injuries were reported.
In a statement Sunday, Columbia Gas said that company crew members helped secure the home following the explosion, and they were working with state and local investigators to determine the cause of the blast.
The company also offered tips for people who smell what may be a natural gas leak (similar to rotten eggs).
• Call 911 and Columbia Gas at 800-544-5606 from a safe location.
• Stay there until a gas company representative arrives, or leave a note on your door stating the location where you can be reached.
• If an appliance is out, do not attempt to re-light it –whether or not you smell the odor of gas. Columbia Gas representatives will restore service to your appliances.
• If you detect natural gas, do not use matches, electric switches or any kinds of appliances or motorized tools.