Virginia State Police remind motorists to get where they need to be before the weather gets bad.
Most fatalities during winter weather occur from auto accidents on icy roads and exposure to the elements, according to the state police. Staying off roads during storms allows public safety vehicles to respond more quickly and gives snow plows better access to clear roads.
If you have to travel during winter weather, remember the following safety tips:
- Drive for conditions. Slow down your speed when possible.
- Make sure your headlights, taillights and windshield wipers are in working order.
- Brush snow off your taillights, headlights and windows to increase visibility for yourself and other drivers.
- Increase driving distances. Give yourself more space between you and the vehicle in front of you. If you should lose control or the vehicle in front of you loses control, then you will need that extra driving space to safely react and stop.
- Always wear your seat belt.
- Give yourself extra drive time.
- Bring along your cell phone charger.
Winter Storm Survival Tips
10 Tips for Safe Walking in Snow and Ice
Find Fredericksburg Patch via: